In view of the great advances in technology, today is a reality what a few years ago could be considered as part of science fiction, originating from a very fruitful mind.
A few years ago, who could have said that man would reach the moon, that surgical operations could be performed using laser technology, that we could communicate with people on the other side of the world, that diseases that were considered deadly could be treated, etc.
After the arrival of Covid-19 in the world, our reality began to change drastically. Overnight it became a real danger to go out on the street; we could no longer hug our friends and family or visit them.
We had to stop going to our places of study and work and many other things. All this, to avoid a possible contagion of this disease that has blinded the lives of many people.
However, although there is still the latent danger of Covid-19, life goes on. Therefore, it is necessary to adapt to this new reality, how? Implementing different measures that are now considered as part of daily normality.
For example, one of them is online medical care, also known as telemedicine. Did you know that it is now possible to visit the doctor, receive a diagnosis, prescribe treatment and monitor your progress without having to leave your home? All this has been possible thanks to technology.
If you are reading this article, it is because you are interested in knowing more about this topic. In it I will tell you what telemedicine is. But not satisfied with it, I will also tell you what its benefits are. So if you haven’t tried it by now, you’ll want to experience it today and even recommend it to others. Let’s see it.
The term telemedicine has become increasingly popular both in hospitals and in different health centers. It refers to the search for the improvement of the patient’s health through electronic communication in real time at a distance with the medical staff.
This communication is carried out thanks to the use of interactive telecommunications equipment that, at a minimum, includes audio and video. In a few words, we could say that telecommunications is nothing more than the provision of clinical health services at a distance; through different types of telecommunications infrastructures.
It is considered an innovation that will play an important role in the evolution and transformation of the health system in the coming years, not only from a technological point of view, but also from a socio-cultural and economic point of view.
Telemedicine is responsible for proposing solutions to some of today’s challenges and challenges, such as the increased demand for health services, the progressive aging of the population and the need to manage a large amount of information.
However, it must be taken into account that, as it is expected to continue growing, it is likely that, in a short time, the concept of telemedicine will be different or encompass other aspects.
Types of telemedicine
I could tell you about at least three types of telemedicine:
- Remote patient monitoring. It offers the opportunity to control, from their homes, patients suffering from chronic diseases. It can be carried out thanks to the use of devices that are responsible for collecting data related to blood sugar levels, blood pressure, as well as other vital signs. In this way, caregivers can analyze this data and determine whether or not it will be necessary to take any type of action.
- The technology of storage and shipment. This is the action of storing clinical data to later be sent to other health centers. For example, when X-ray images are taken of a patient in an outpatient clinic and then sent to a specialized center for interpretation.
- Interactive telemedicine. It makes it possible for doctors and patients to communicate in real time. We could say that it is a videoconference that does not require the patient to have to leave their home to go to the health center.
Now, although you are currently familiar with this term, it may seem strange to you to follow a treatment that has been prescribed for you by someone who has not even touched you. Therefore, you need to know what are the benefits that telemedicine offers to patients.
What do you need
If you haven’t tried telemedicine before, it’s reasonable to have questions about how it works or why you should use it. Some of the benefits of this type of medical assistance are the following:
- Have contact with doctors and therapists considered to be of high quality. All these health professionals are duly certified and have a state license to perform their duties. In addition, they have an average of about 20 years of work experience.
- It does not require any technology or special skills. You can use a common telephone to receive attention. However, some queries may require the use of video via desktop or mobile app.
- Greater ease of access to prescription drugs. In fact, these prescriptions can be picked up at the pharmacy of your choice. Many of them have free delivery service.
- A wide range of conditions can be diagnosed and treated. These can range from basic cold and flu symptoms, to bronchitis, pneumonia, arthritis, conjunctivitis, depression, and anxiety attacks, among others.
To all this, it is important to add the fact that you avoid getting infected with the different types of diseases that are active within your community, as is the case with the current Covid-19. Without a doubt, it is worth trying.
However, you will not be able to receive care in this way if you have serious problems, such as a broken bone, sprain, head injury, severe burn, chest pain, etc. In such a case, it is best to visit a health care center as soon as possible.
Since you are now aware of all the benefits of telemedicine, you may want to try it out as soon as possible. In such a case, what should you do? Where should you start?
In order to start benefiting from this type of service, the first thing you should do is contact your insurance company and ask if telemedicine is included in their plans.
If it doesn’t, be sure to set up an account before any medical issues or mental health support are needed, as this will greatly reduce any delay in care.
You can also register when requesting your first consultation. You can manage this through the platform of your choice, either by phone or through an application.
Conventional medical care can be time consuming, expensive, and sometimes very confusing. However, telemedicine offers you medical attention from professionals in the area, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from the comfort of your home and without having to take any kind of risk.
Also, take into account that what we know today as medicine, in a short time, will be outdated and will only be part of the past. Therefore, the best thing you can do is take preventive measures and enter the future of medicine. In this way you will be more prepared and familiar with the resources that we will have tomorrow.
What are you waiting for? Dare to receive a consultation through telemedicine and enjoy the benefits it brings. For sure, you won’t regret it. It is the best now and it will be in the future as well.