Since the news of the arrival of a highly contagious and potentially deadly disease, known as Covid-19, came to light in the world, a series of health measures have been implemented to prevent its spread.
However, the truth is that it spread rapidly throughout the world until it was classified as a pandemic. This happens when the vast majority of countries register a certain amount of number of infected.
Just at that moment, fear began to take over many people, to the point that they fell victim to anxiety and panic, due to the natural desire not to be part of the number of those affected by the disease.
For this reason, some took extreme health security measures, wearing a mask day and night, gloves and other elements that reduce the risk of possible contagion. However, this situation extended more than many could have imagined. So the constant anguish and state of alarm has caused some to fall victim to what is known as pandemic fatigue.
Have you heard of this term? Maybe not. However, as surprising as it may seem, it is very likely that you have manifested some of its symptoms without knowing it. Would you like to know what they are? If so, I recommend that you continue reading this article.
In it you will find everything you need to know about pandemic fatigue, a condition that is affecting hundreds of people around the world, regardless of their age, gender, social status or religion.
I will share with you some practical tips so that you can cope with it and, over time, minimize its symptoms until they disappear completely and you can return to having a normal life within the current circumstances.
Instructions for coping with pandemic fatigue
The term pandemic fatigue has been coined by the World Health Organization and is used to designate the emotional state of demotivation and fatigue felt by a large part of the world’s population, given the current situation prolonged by the coronavirus pandemic.
All the necessary sanitary measures, which have been implemented, end up causing a kind of generalized exhaustion in people. The danger is that this exhaustion makes people take less care of themselves and begin to lower their guard by wearing less masks, not respecting quarantine, washing their hands less, etc. All this makes them more exposed to possible contagion.
It is a natural behavior in a prolonged stressful situation that includes fear of losing your job, fear of getting sick, not being able to perform certain activities freely, among other things.
Pandemic fatigue manifests itself in different ways. Some of them are:
- Feeling of extreme tiredness.
- Overwhelmed by the routine implemented with the arrival of the pandemic.
- Despair at what lies ahead.
- Panic attacks.
- Loneliness and physical and emotional isolation.
If you have exhibited any of these symptoms, it is likely that you are suffering from pandemic fatigue. But, just as if it were a disease, there are certain tools that you can use to face it and get ahead. Next, I will tell you what they are.
What do you need to cope with pandemic fatigue?
One of the things that will help you the most is to make a schedule. In it, you must include not only the mandatory activities, such as studies and work, but also recreational or leisure activities, such as playing a video game, board games, practicing sports in the garden, dancing, singing karaoke, etc.
Try to make these activities different every day so you don’t fall into monotony and boredom. This will help you to distract your mind and not remain in a state of constant alarm.
You will also need to practice some technique that helps you regain control of your emotions, such as breathing, relaxation, meditation or yoga. These techniques are generally easy to do and will help calm your concerns.
You also need a friend. Friends are there to support each other in difficult times. With this person you can talk and let off steam, but you can also include them in your leisure activities via streaming. It will surely help you to spend a different and refreshing time.
Limit the amount of negative information you receive, how can you do it? Try not to spend hours looking at news and statistics related to the coronavirus, as it is counterproductive for your mood. The less you know, the better it will be for your emotional health.
Finally, it is necessary that you continue applying the protection and security measures. Yes, you may already be tired of doing it. But remember that wearing a mask, social distancing and washing your hands with soap and water are insignificant measures that will help you preserve the most important thing: your health and that of your loved ones.
But what other measures can help you combat pandemic fatigue? What else can you do to improve the situation?
Tips for coping with pandemic fatigue
Some of the measures, to better cope with pandemic fatigue, are the following:
- Take care of your body. This includes taking care of your diet, the hours you sleep, which should be at least 7 or 8 hours, and improving the physical activity you do. The idea is that you do not allow a sedentary lifestyle to take over your life. You should be as active as possible and make sure you get enough rest.
- In relation to food, avoid eating foods that are not very nutritious, such as those that are fried, junk food and sweets. On the contrary, it includes fruits, vegetables and cereals to make it more varied and nutritional.
- Integrate different activities into your daily routine that help you reduce stress levels. At this point, the fundamental thing is that you can rest and enjoy in the company of those who live under your same roof.
- Why not schedule an afternoon of movies, a marathon of your favorite series, a video game night or some similar recreational activity? This will allow them to relieve the time they are locked up and strengthen emotional ties.
- Stay in touch with the outside world. Don’t lose contact with your friends. You can communicate with them through different means, such as telephone, email, via streaming, etc. This will allow you to minimize the feeling of confinement and loneliness. If you use your imagination, you will realize that there are hundreds of things that can be done through electronic media.
- Change your mindset. Until now you may have thought that you are locked up. However, the real reason for your current situation is because you are taking care of yourself and your loved ones.
- Also, keep in mind that this is a temporary stop. It is not a permanent condition. If you think positive, you will avoid falling victim to anxiety and other harmful emotions.
- Be aware that the feelings you are experiencing is natural and that there is nothing wrong with experiencing them, as long as you work through them. To deny the existence of these feelings would mean a double effort. Also, it would deprive you of working on the problem to remedy the situation.
- Avoid falling into vices or toxic and unhealthy habits. Some people deal with stress through smoking or alcohol. However, these solutions only add one more problem.
- You should also avoid excessive consumption of stimulating substances, such as coffee or chocolate, because, in the long run, they will bring you negative consequences.
- One of the biggest triggers for pandemic fatigue is hopelessness. Having the inner feeling that the situation will never get better or that it will get worse and worse can plunge you into sadness and despair.
- On the contrary, hope, positive expectations and faith are the perfect antidote to this evil that overwhelms a large part of the world’s population. Therefore, always keep in mind that the time will come when you can resume your life normally.