You like fruits? If so, you have many reasons for it. Within the fruits we can find different types of species, some more delicious than others. In addition, there are for all tastes, that is, sweet, acid, bitter, etc.
There are also different sizes, colors, textures and even shapes. You can eat some in one bite and others in slices. Some have an edible rind; others need to be removed so they can be eaten.
The vast majority of fruits can be made into a smoothie or some other preparation. They are also used as a base to flavor cakes, cocktails and other types of refreshing drinks, ideal for the summer season.
In addition, with its pulp you can make countless preserves, jams and preserves. Great chefs use them to decorate their dishes and present them in a subtle and delicate way, but at the same time, impressive.
Although everything said above is true, it should be noted that fruits also have many properties, which have a positive impact on our body, contributing to good health. One of them is the nectarine.
Have you heard of this fruit before? It is possible that, depending on where you are, you know it by another name. However, what you should be clear about is that, in addition to being delicious, it has many properties and benefits. Would you like to know what they are?
If so, don’t let the parrot go away! Do not stop reading this article so that you are aware of the way in which you can get the most out of it. Likewise, we will be sharing with you some of its main characteristics, as well as simple recipes that you and your family can enjoy. Rich and highly nutritional alternatives that will help you have and maintain good health.
The nectarine is also known by the name of Pavia and is a spring and summer fruit, which has a stone and a fleshy and very sweet pulp, similar to that of a peach. However, it is distinguished from it by its smooth and more reddish skin.
Various theories affirm that this fruit owes its existence to a process of grafting the plum tree onto the peach tree. However, in some parts of the world, species have been identified that have mutated spontaneously. What is clear is that the nectarine is a variety of peach.
As in the case of the peach, there are many varieties of nectarines, which can be classified into two large groups: those with white pulp and those with orange or yellow pulp.
As for their nutritional value, it must be said that they are a great source of minerals, such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, sodium, zinc, selenium and iodine. On the other hand, they contain carotenoids and vitamins C, B2, B1, B3 and B6.
It provides very few calories, about 40 per 100 grams you consume, which means that you can eat them without remorse, since they will not have a significant impact on your current weight.
Also, for every 100 grams of nectarine, there are 87 grams of water, 9 carbohydrates, 2 fibers and 1.5 vegetable proteins. You can eat it in different ways, raw or add it to different recipes, such as jams, biscuits, cakes, smoothies, etc.
Now, as we have already pointed out in this article, the nectarine is not only tasty to the palate, but it is also a source of many properties and health benefits. What are they? It is necessary that you know them so that you can take full advantage of it. Let’s see it.
What do you need
- Since nectarine has a high content of potassium and is low in sodium, it is an excellent alternative for people who suffer from high blood pressure, since it contributes to its improvement. For this purpose, it can be taken in infusions.
- It is ideal to eat as a dessert since it improves the digestive process, thanks to its choler etic effect. That is, it is responsible for stimulating the production of bile, which will better digest fats and prevent difficulties from arising, such as slow and heavy digestion.
- On the other hand, by incorporating it into your regular diet, it will improve intestinal transit, relieving the symptoms of constipation and even preventing it. Since it is a good source of dietary fiber, it is recommended to eat it in the main meals or to snack at snack times, just as if it were a snack.
- Because they are rich in carotenoids, they act as a protective shield against different types of ailments and degenerative diseases, such as cataracts, glaucoma, dermatitis, etc.
- As it contains potassium, it helps regulate the heartbeat and, together with the action of antioxidants, reduces the chances of suffering from some type of cardiovascular disease.
- Vitamin C, carotenoids, zinc and selenium provide antioxidant capacity, which protect the body from free radicals. In addition, they delay aging and reduce the incidence of chronic diseases, such as cancer.
- The minerals it contains help the nervous and muscular systems function normally. Therefore, the nectarine is a highly recommended fruit at any stage of life.
- It is recommended for people who suffer from anemia due to lack of iron, since it contains vitamin C, which plays a fundamental role in the absorption of iron from food.
- Since water is an important element in its composition, it will help you stay hydrated during the very hot months.
Without a doubt, for these and other reasons, it is worth including nectarine in our daily diet. But, what recommendations should you take into account when selecting the ones you will eat?
Although it is true that the nectarine has many benefits and properties, it must be taken into account that, like other fruits and vegetables, it may contain traces of pesticides, which, in the long run, could cause side effects.
Therefore, in order to ensure that the ones you eat do not have toxic residues, the recommendation is that you select organic nectarines, which are healthier for your body and more sustainable for the environment. But what are they?
You can request them through virtual stores, which guarantee that they have been cultivated with clean water, healthy soil and the allied incidence of the sun, whose final result is a juicy fruit, reddish in color, smooth skin and many properties.
On the other hand, keep in mind that the nectarine is a very fragile fruit. Therefore, when selecting them in the supermarket, choose those that have smooth and shiny skin that are firm, but, at the same time, that are flexible when touched.
The fact that they are excessively hard may be an indication that they still need to mature. Although it can also be synonymous that its pulp is not very juicy.
Since they tend to be damaged very easily, you should handle them very carefully. It is possible to keep them for a few days at room temperature. However, if you want to extend their shelf life, keep them in the fridge. Do not forget to temper it before eating it so that it is much tastier.
If you prefer, it is also possible to freeze it. In this case, you’ll need to cut them in half, then blanch, peel, and bone them. Then, sprinkle them with a little lemon juice to stop their natural oxidation process and, finally, cover them with syrup. In this way they will be ready to be frozen and enjoy them whenever you want.
Now, can you think of any recipe where the nectarine is the protagonist? If you don’t have the slightest idea what to do, don’t let the pot go away! Next, we will be sharing with you some delicious and very easy recipes to prepare.
Recipes with nectarine
Nectarine Cobbler – For this recipe, you will need to have the following ingredients on hand:
- 3 nectarines.
- 10 strawberries.
- 1 cup of flour 50 gr of sugar.
- Active yeast powder.
- 120 ml of milk.
- 50 gr of butter at room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and
- Brown sugar.
Its preparation is very simple; you just have to do the following:
- Cut the nectarines into segments. As for the strawberries, depending on their size, cut them in half or in 4 parts.
- Mix both fruits in a saucepan along with the cornstarch and brown sugar.
- Then, mix the flour together with the yeast, sugar, milk and butter.
- Integrate all the ingredients very well until the final result is a homogeneous paste.
- Mix that paste together with the pieces of fruit and form piles in which part of the fruit is exposed.
- Cook for about 6 minutes and then serve a piece together with red fruit sauce.
This is a daring proposal for a salad with fruits and nuts, full of vitamins and many nutrients. To make it, locate the following ingredients:
- 150 grams of lettuce.
- 1 nectarine.
- ½ cucumbers.
- 100 gr of Serrano ham cut into slices.
- 60 grams of walnuts.
- 1 lemon.
- 1 clove garlic.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- White vinegar.
- Salt and pepper.
For the preparation of this delicious salad:
- Crush the garlic clove.
- Cut the lemon in half and chop the parsley very finely.
- Then, mix these three ingredients, that is, the lemon juice, the parsley and the garlic.
- Pour a little olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- With the help of some rods or spoons, mix very well and reserve.
- Take the lettuce and wash it. Then place it in a bowl or other large container.
- Wash the nectarine and cut it into very fine segments.
- Cut the cucumber into thin slices and crush the nuts.
- Add the parsley mixture and stir well until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Adjust the salt and pepper and serve it together with the slices of Serrano ham.
While it is true that this is the basic recipe, you can add other species to give it a different flavor, such as cumin, Tabasco or garlic powder. These ingredients will be responsible for enhancing its flavor and delighting your guests, who will surely be asking for more.
Yogurt smoothie with nectarine
A healthy and delicious option. Ideal to consume at snack time. To do so, you will only have to have on hand:
- 2 large nectarines pitted and cut into chunks.
- 1 banana, chopped and previously frozen.
- 1 large orange peeled and in segments.
- 250 gr of yogurt with vanilla flavor.
- 240 ml of orange juice.
- 1 tablespoon of honey.
Its preparation consists of the following steps:
- Place the nectarines, banana, orange, yogurt, orange juice and honey in the blender jar and blend until everything is perfectly integrated.
- Rectify its sweetness and, if necessary, add more honey and blend again.
- Serve the drink in a glass with lots of ice and enjoy.
Whether you eat the nectarine raw or if you make any of these recipes, you will be sure that you will be taking advantage of all the nutritional value and medicinal properties that the nectarine offers you. Don’t stop eating it.