Many parents agree that having a child is a miracle. And it is surprising to see how a new one can be created from two beings, with unique characteristics, with its own character, personality, etc.
What is even more surprising is that this new being will also have the ability to give life. It is an endless cycle that has made it possible for the earth, today, to be full of inhabitants.
In the past, parents had to wait for the birth of their child to find out if it was male or female, meanwhile they had to wait for it with high expectations.
However, thanks to the great advances in technology, now it is not only possible to determine the sex of the baby without it having been born, but it is also possible to identify some of its characteristic features, the position in which it is located and if it has any genetic abnormality.
All these data are the result of a study carried out with an ultrasound scanner. Maybe at some time in your life you have had to do an echogram. However, it is unlikely that you have knowledge about the device that performs it.
If you are interested in learning more about this topic, you have come to the right place. Through this post I will let you know what an ultrasound machine is. Likewise, you will find out how many types of ultrasound machines exist, what they are used for and what should be taken into account when wanting to acquire one.
So, when you finish reading, you will have valuable information that will allow you to be aware of the scope of this machine for health monitoring and that has made it possible to see under the skin, without having to perform any previous operation.. Therefore, without further ado, let’s begin to address this interesting topic.
An ultrasound is nothing more than a medical instrument that produces a sequence of images of the interior of the body and that makes it possible to see and diagnose different anomalies in the organs, as well as other formations. It is also used to monitor the development of a fetus during pregnancy.
Currently, this device has been able to capture motion images in real time. These ultrasound machines are known by the name 4D and are distinguished from 3D by this very fact.
However, now 5G ultrasound is giving way, which has the same function as 4G, with the difference that it is responsible for reducing the number of spots and noise in the images. It also offers greater definition at the edges of all fabrics.
How does it work
Its operation is based on the sending of ultrasonic waves that go towards the interior of the body. When these waves collide with the organs, they bounce back and return as an echo. In turn, this echo is read by the ultrasound machine and converted into images, through computer algorithms.
In order for the waves to propagate properly, they must be applied to structures with a large amount of water. For this reason, it is possible to explore all the organs of the body, since some of them have a large air cavity.
Organs that are suitable for ultrasound examination are known as soft structures. Among them are: the heart, the liver, the kidneys, the pancreas, the bladder, the vessel, etc.
The frequency of the ultrasonic waves used is from 200 Hz. However, those used to make diagnoses, through images, are between 2 and 20 Mhz. It should be noted that the higher the frequency, the better the image quality.
In addition to knowing what an ultrasound machine is and how it works, you need to know in what cases you can use it, so that you can get the most out of this ultrasound wave diagnostic test.
What do you need
The ultrasound machine is used in different branches of medicine. Some of them are:
- In obstetrics and gynecology: to determine the size of the fetus, age and sex. Also, to verify the position of the placenta, the normal growth of the baby and the different factors such as the amount of amniotic fluid, the presence of tumors, etc.
- In cardiology: it prevents the patient from having to undergo x-rays or a CT scan. In addition, it allows to measure the circulation of blood to the heart and the main arteries of the body explores the internal part of the heart and identifies leaks, obstructions, etc.
- In urology: it allows locating kidney stones, making a diagnosis of prostate cancer, measuring blood flow through the kidneys, etc.
- In the area of dermatology: it allows the diagnosis of benign and malignant skin tumors, the diagnosis and monitoring of different inflammatory pathologies, nail diseases and scalp pathologies.
- In endocrinology: it allows the study of nodular thyroid pathologies, as well as thyroid carcinoma. It is also used to make a localizing diagnosis of primary hypothyroidism.
Types of ultrasound
Thanks to the different ultrasound machines that exist, it is possible to perform different types of ultrasounds. For example:
- Abdominal ultrasound: to determine if there are tumors in the liver, pancreas, inside the abdomen, etc.
- Vaginal: to study the uterus and locate fibroids, polyps, etc.
- Mammary: to make a differentiation between nodules and tumors and determine their benignity.
- Trans rectal: to detect prostate cancer in men.
- Doppler: to determine the blood flow in the heart valve, visualize its speed, among other uses.
- 3D, 4D, 5D: to monitor the status of the fetus during pregnancy.
- Cutaneous: it is used to detect skin tumors, as well as inflammatory processes and hair diseases.
- In physiotherapy: it is very useful in the assessment of soft tissues, such as tendons, ligaments, viscera, blood vessels, muscles, etc.
Now, if you have a medical center or you plan to have a well-equipped one, you will need a good ultrasound machine. But, what should you take into account when purchasing it?
Before making a choice, it is important that you take into account some aspects:
- What is your field of application? This point is important, since, taking this fact into account; you will be able to determine the type of wave, the frequency range and the basic characteristics of the equipment.
- The quality of the image.
- In case the ultrasound machine is portable, the battery life time.
- The investment made. In this sense, the investment is not only its acquisition value. You should also take into account your own training and that of your staff, which should be constant.
- Maintenance and service after sale. It is important that the place of assistance is close, that is, in the same country in which you live. Likewise, it must have a customer service department that is agile and decisive. You must make sure of this before making the purchase. Otherwise, when something goes wrong, you will have serious problems.
- Your cost. In the market, it is possible to find a large number of ultrasound machines with different prices. The cheapest models are around 1,000 euros, while the most expensive are above 2,000 euros.
However, between these two price ranges, it is possible to find models with different functions. Naturally, the more basic the model, the lower its cost. The reverse is also true, the more features it has, the more expensive it will be.
If you take these aspects into account, you will be guaranteed to make a good decision when buying an ultrasound machine for your health care center. This way you will offer quality care and optimal results to your patients, regardless of their age or gender.